Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fabric Conditioners

Fabric Conditioners 4 years 4 weeks ago #1

• billym
  • EiR Newbie
Hello, I'm new to this forum/site.

I've been fairly sensitive to various deodorants, aftershaves etc for a couple of years now.

The worst thing seems to be fabric conditioners/softeners though, not only does it affect me badly but seems to never fade, unlike deodorants which seem to be less of a problem during the afternoons.

Does anyone have a major problem with these products. I'm currently researching the possibility of directing a documentary on the evils of fabric conditioners and the problems that MCS sufferers face with them.

Cheers,

Simon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fabric Conditioners 4 years 3 weeks ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Hi Simon, yes fabric conditioners are a very common one as far as reactions go, I know some ppl who will only go out for a walk about 3am as everyone has stopped using their dryers by then & it's safe for them to go out.

Fabric Conditioners 4 years 2 weeks ago #3

• billym
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Jodie,
Do you have a few more details about these ppl?
I'm looking at the possibility of writing and directing a documentary on the evils of fabric conditioners, and looking for some central characters. Details such as do these ppl only go out of the house in the middle of the night, presumably they dont hold down a job, how many years have they been doing this, how widespread it this etc etc
Is this in the US?
Cheers,
Simon

Fabric Conditioners 4 years 2 weeks ago #4

• Jodie
Hi Simon, it was several years ago I remember that remark about going out for walks in the early hours.  It would have been on this site - or on planetthrive.com/ or groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GreenCanary/conversations/topics as these are the groups I use.  You'd need to do a search on those or re-ask the question.   Those ppl will almost never be only reacting to fabric conditioner tho - there will be a range of everyday chems they have to take avoidance actions for.   There have been several films & documentaries about MCS sufferers, many of whom have to live in tents & cars, moving with the seasons & the weather.. they live on savings/welfare/parents money usually. Some of them have blogs on Planet Thrive . A documentary specifically on fabric cond. may concentrate ppls minds & seem less overwhelming to take in tho ....

Keep us posted .. ! Jodie
Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Jodie.

Fabric Conditioners 3 years 10 months ago #5

• axepilot
  • EiR Newbie
Fabric Softener. Easily one of the most invasive and persistent consumer chemicals out there. My wife is one of those people who run back into the house when the wind carries our neighbors' dryer exhaust to our doorstep. We have to roll up the car windows and set the air to recirculate when we drive past the laundromats. We keep towels in the car to keep from contaminating the upholstery with the fabric softener that traveled from someone else's dryer to their clothes to the booth at the restaurant to our clothes. How many times have we had to move tables in an eatery because Suzy Homemaker sat down at the table next to us, saturating our space with pungent carcinogens and central nervous system disruptors? We have brought produce home from the market that smelled of fabric softener just from being in the same store where these laundry products are sold. It is insane. While house-hunting, we viewed approximately 130 different properties trying to find a home that wasn't scent-soaked with some chemical fragrance but were almost always run off by the smell of fabric softener. Yes, well over 100 people failed to make a sale because of the products in their home which they, likely, thought would make their homes smell warm and inviting but you can't expect this stuff to 'air out' in a few weeks, months, or even years. I have guitar cases that were stored two rooms over from where our laundry machines were kept 10 years ago that still had the scent of Bounce in them! One of our house-hunting criteria was density of development: houses too close together and you can bet you'll have far fewer days where the outside air is even tolerable. Hotels during travel? Not likely. Too many hotels are using Proctor & Gamble products which, to us, may as well be Black Flag. And the idea that some regulatory entity signed-off on these products being safe for the public is simply criminal.

I would love to see some public exposure on this. I have heard some refer to fabric softeners as today's asbestos. I wish that concept would catch on a little faster.

Fabric Conditioners 3 years 10 months ago #6

• Jodie
Absolutely! how long will it take for folks to wake up to this stuff? - I don't know! Most people I talk to have occasional bad reactions to one artificial chemical or another (eg insect repellant or some particular perfume) but don't think much about it. When it's something as ubiquitous as fabric softener it really starts to hit home that we are poisoning ourselves.

Some have success with ozone generators when decontaminating rooms www.ei-resource.org/forum/multiple-chemi...494-ozone-generator/ , try asking around, but they're tricky to use & can cause damage. I think you can get professional help with them tho.

Related Articles:

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds