Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Introducing myself

Introducing myself 4 years 9 months ago #1

• Sare36
  • EiR Newbie
I'm not sure if I have posted in the right topic but just wanted to introduce myself and maybe get some help with my situation.

I am currently suffering with severe Chemical, EMF and food sensitivities :( .
This occurred after the antidepressant I was taking for nearly 6 years turned on me. I had to come off but have been left severely mentally and physically disabled. In order to heal I need to get on top of these senstivities somehow as they are keeping me so unwell. Neurologist has diagnosed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and ME. He did say that the drug has caused some changes in the brain for this to happen.
I believe I have brain damage due to the drug I was taking. There is much new research out there stating these drugs taken long term can cause brain damage. I have so many awful deliberating symptoms. I feel like I'm fighting for my life everyday.

So, where do I go from here? I am very sensitive to any supplements so wary of anything really. Where do I start?

Thank you for reading this. I'm sorry if I don't put myself across very well - I have severe cognitive issues.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anti Pollution Mask - U-Mask the best biotech respirator

ADVERTISEMENT

Introducing myself 4 years 9 months ago #2

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
Hi Sare,

I'm quite curious as to which drug this was that the doc thinks caused brain damage?

Are you aware of what in your environment (eg food, environmental chems) might be triggering reactions right now? Do you ever have some days which are pretty good? If so, write down everything you have eaten, drunk, crossed paths with - (eg shampoo/soap/detergents) . Did you exercise at all, did you go out anywhere? Any of these things could be important when detecting triggers. If you can get your system to calm down by avoiding known triggers, you can often start to add these things back to some degree, gradually.. you can also start to build a list of known triggers and known safe things.

There is a thread here www.ei-resource.org/forum/multiple-chemi...-forum-introduction/ worth following through , as well as our MCS info page www.ei-resource.org/illness-information/...hemical-sensitivity/ Some treatment options are here www.ei-resource.org/treatment-options/treatment-information/ and as you will see 'brain retraining' is one of them. I don't know if that would apply in your case, but at least it doesn't involve supplements. I followed one of these thru myself and wrote it up here
www.ei-resource.org/forum/multiple-chemi...on-gupta-retraining/
Altho I'm told that for Multiple Chemical Sensitivities the Annie Hopper version is more effective - but the principal is the same. So have a read around and inform yourself and see if you can start to work your way thru to healing, with any luck you should improve..

(Incidentally the brain retraining programs are also supposed to help EMF sufferers)

Jodie
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Jodie.

Introducing myself 4 years 9 months ago #3

• Raquelrp
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Jodi;
I sit joined the forum today . I also am suffering from MCS. Along with parasotes, Lyme , Epstein Barr and trace of malaria . I am a young mom of two little ones 1 yr and 4 yr old . It makes for a difficult life . I am currently under treatment of a naturopath . Anyone heard of Field Control Theraphy? He recently started me on glutathione and it has started helping me trough my chronic fatigue . I don't tolerate supplements at all either so I had to start with like two drops . He said it's because I al so very toxic . I bet your case is the same . I am now up to 1/8 tsp. twice a day ! Are you under any treatment ? Any environmental factors ? We had black mold that triggered mine.

Introducing myself 4 years 9 months ago #4

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
That is pretty tough Raquelrp - my kids are grown up but I can well remember the exhaustion of dealing with pre-schoolers, you have a lot on your hands there :-/
I am not using any treatment (apart from avoiding triggers & using occasional antihistamines) - I have a dx of mast cell disorder, but since no one knows what is causing my mast cells to misbehave I keep an open mind as to what else might be going on.
I have not heard of Field Control Therapy - is it helping?
That's quite a list of disorders you have there.. uck, would it help to sort them out one at a time? that's the approach my practioner took - these conditions are complex so we tried to keep things as simple as poss, we did the more obviously treatable stuff first. Good idea re building up the supplements slowly .. this only occurred to me recently as this is what patients need to do with mast cell meds - otherwise they react badly to them.. start with a really tiny dose and work upwards.
Yes there are a lot of environmental chems I avoid, many of them (eg detergents) you can easily live without, some - like dentistry materials - are far more of a problem.

Introducing myself 4 years 9 months ago #5

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Sare and Raquel,
I too would be very interested to learn which antidepressant you were taking when you became sick Sare. I would hazard a guess that it was in the class known as 'reuptake inhibitors' - the most widely used being selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) of which Prozac was the first and remains the most well known. A huge amount of research now indicates the risks and side-effects of these drugs often outweigh the benefits. Antidepressant drugs in by their very nature work by altering brain chemistry, and with what we now know about the brain being an organ that is constantly changing the way it functions, and even its structure, in response to environmental/chemical and psychological inputs, it stands to reason that long-term treatment can have far reaching and unintended consequences. We know MCS, EHS and other environmental illnesses have a big neurological component so these can be one such consequence.
The good news is that since the brain is constantly reshaping its structure and functioning, it is equally possible to recover! Dr. Norman Doidge has written extensively on the phenomenon of 'neural plasticity' (the brain reshaping itself like plastic) and how this allows even those who have suffered strokes and other serious brain injury and trauma to make what might be seen as "miraculous" recoveries. It is this property of neural plasticity on which the brain retraining programs Jodie mentions are based; they incorporate techniques and therapies such as neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), emotional freedom techniques (EFT) and self-hypnosis to 'reprogram' the brain to regain a normal level of sensitivity to chemicals, electromagnetic fields (EMFS), foods, and so on. Even meditation or prayer can have similar effects and are entirely free - research has demonstrated these effects,
I personally suffered from acute MCS for many years; I was confined to a few rooms in my flat/apartment and could not go outdoors or be in contact with other people without becoming severely ill. A carbon filter face mask did help protect me and help avoid symptoms but was not very practical. I was lucky at the time that I was young and able to live alone so I could fully control my environment and avoid exposure to triggering chemicals. As Jodie mentioned, this is a key piece in the puzzle of recovery. I am happy to say that I have now been recovered from MCS for 11 years. The brain retraining programs did not exist at that time - I believe my recovery was down to strict avoidance of chemical triggers, an organic diet, pure water, daily meditation and other techniques that calm the brain and nervous system (relaxation techniques, qi gong etc) and attention to adrenal gland and thyroid health.
I would recommend all of the above and everything that Jodie mentions in her posts. The brain retraining programs do seem to get very good results also. We've seen many members come back to the site to say they have recovered using these. Of course, it is a matter of what you can tolerate and afford personally. Everyone is different but there are certainly many similarities also. We all have to find our own paths back to health but I am living proof that it is possible and I am definitely not the only one. Please both of you remain hopeful, learn all you can from this site and others...and don't listen to anyone who either tells you that your illnesses don't exist or are incurable. Both of those assertions are false and ignorant. You can get better!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Related Articles:

Home Water Filters:

50% Off Aquasana Filtration Systems

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds