Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hormonal perhaps????

Hormonal perhaps???? 11 years 4 months ago #1

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
Hi,

Over the past year I have gained a stone and a half in weight - this is no mean feat for someone who is barely 5ft. When the weight initially started to come on I re-joined a weight loss programme, one that I had used succesfully before after having my children. Despite myself and them monitoring and making suggestions/adjustments to my eating and lifestyle the weight continued to pile on. I have always been and advocate of healthy eating and exercise having realised in my late teens/early 20's that I do not have the same metabolism as my very slim and small boned mother and I have managed without fail to keep track and keep on top of things.

The ONLY thing that has changed in my life is that I have stopped taking my contraceptive pills. This was due to my age at the time (having turned 35) and I did try POP but this did not suit me. I then had the alternative which was a non hormonal contraceptive (IUD) and suffered other side effects and symptoms. Basically, I have been hormone free since mid/late 2009 and it was early 2010 that the weight gain started despite NO CHANGE to my eating approach/lifestyle.

I had a thyroid check in August 2010 which apparently came back 'normal' but I have to say that I have been suffering other things in addition to the unexplained weight gain, such as heightened anxiety, extremely oily skin, deppressive modes, heightened PMT.

My GP has not taken my concerns seriously in the past but now my husband has spoken and stated that it is having an effect on our relationship he has been more open to listening.

My questions are:-
Is it possible that even though my bloods come back 'normal' that there is still an issue underlying as I am displaying many of the symptoms associated with hormonal issues?
do you think there is a hormonal imbalance?
What would you suggest either medical/herbal to treat it?

Regards
:(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hormonal perhaps???? 11 years 4 months ago #2

• judyjude
  • EiR Newbie
Hi,

I would ask your doctor or receptionist for a copy of your thyroid results with the reference ranges. If you are in the UK you are entitled to have these results. If they want to charge you for a copy ask them to read the results and ranges out and write them down.

I would recommend joining Thyroid Patient Advocacy as you can post the result there an someone will help you understand them and advise you further.

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/thyroidpatientadvocacy/

I too after the birth of my second child continued to gain weight and had a list of symptoms the GP wouldn't look at. I had never heard of the thyroid and didn't know what it did. It was six years before I was diagnosed hypothyroid.

Now you have your husband on side I would have him attend the doctors with you so he can say how ill you are and how it is effecting family life. Depending on the thyroid test results you may need to be referred to an endocrinologist.

The problem with hypothyroidism is it comes on slowly and you become sicker and you don't realise how ill you have become. If you became that ill over night you would be banging down the doctors door for answers.

Judy

Re: Hormonal perhaps???? 11 years 4 months ago #3

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
Hi Judy

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I will look at the link you have kindly sent me and when I get the results back will post them as appropriate. OH is in my corner thankfully as he knows how much work I put in and this from him who is hyper meticulous and exacting and who would tell me - even though it caused a rift if he thought othewise.

My biggest fear would be battling against a 'normal' response but interestingly I keep reading that the norm is too generic as to relate to all individuals which is why some people are fortunate enough to be listened to and treated immediatly by understanding GP's and others have to battle on despite displaying all of the symptoms of this issue - perhaps others can confirm this.

You are also so right in that it is a gradual thing which creeps up on you - heres hoping finally for a solution :)

Re: Hormonal perhaps???? 11 years 4 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi,

I agree with everything Judy has said and sincerely hope you have an open minded GP as it can make all the difference when tests appear normal, or even borderline. Remember you can always change GPs if need be. Some of the big thyroid support groups online will no doubt have members who can recommend a sympathetic GP in your area.

Treatment of hypothyroidism is also hit and miss even if your doctor recognises it as standard treatment (thyroxine) is not effective for everyone. A recent study found that genetic variations meant some people cannot efficiently convert thyroxine to the more active thyroid hormone triiodothyronine (T3), so need to be given this directly in addition to thyroxine.

Dr. Damien Downing recently wrote about this on his column - New genomic study further explains thyroid treatment problems. I'm sure you will find this of interest.

Good luck with your results and your GP. Let us know how you get on!

Maff
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Hormonal perhaps???? 11 years 4 months ago #5

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
Thanks Maff

I will definately keep you guys posted. I had my bloods tested today and have an appointment for the week after next. It has taken my husband to stress the strain it is having on our relationship for it to be listened to though. My children brought me to tears this weekend by telling me how much it upsets them that I am always sad about how I look. We brought new scales and I got on them and even though my son wasnt in the room with me he could 'sense' what I had been doing and became enraged (for him who is such a placid little fellow) that I would bother to weigh myself. I really didnt realise it was having such an effect on them. My 'moods' are so up and down I dont think they know where thy are with me :unsure:

Re: Hormonal perhaps???? 11 years 4 months ago #6

• judyjude
  • EiR Newbie
Yes this have been my experience too. On Levothyroxine for 10 years. At first I felt I had my life back and lost alot of the weight I had gained. Then I had a few stressful times in my life and a lot of the hypo sypmtoms came back (and the weight). Took me a while to work it out ,my GP couldn't understand it and she's hypothyroid too!
Thanks goodness for the internet and finding good info especially TPA. So finally in the last two years I have changed first to Natural desicated thyroid (Efra) and now in the last 3 months on T3 (triiodothyronine) only.

Yes do keep posting. I would get a copy of the test results before your next appointment with the GP so you can go ready to with any questions.

Judy

Related Articles:

Mold Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds