Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can/Will DR medicate for hormone issues...

Can/Will DR medicate for hormone issues... 10 years 10 months ago #1

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
even if the bloods have come back 'normal' but a patient is displaying many of the other symptoms. Would appreciate hearing from anyone this has happened to.

Excuse me for what might seem obvious and inane questions - I am just concerned to ensure that I have covered all bases in terms of my immiment appt with the DR for this having noticed the symptoms escalate and fall out of my control.

Results didnt come through yesterday from the Dr as I had hoped and to confuse things even more I didnt realise until speaking to the receptionist that it is the Dr's themselves who classifiy whether things are 'normal' or not. :dry:

I have a further concern in that the first DR I went to see only asked for my thyroid to be checked albeit reluctantly because 'last year it was fine!'. It was when my OH called and asked to speak to the DR that he gets on with that things started to get moving on the primary hormonal tests and he was the one who asked for more tests but apparently the whole lot (bar the cortisol which I had to get done separately) will go back to her. :S

I guess what I am saying is if she things a thyroid reading from some time ago (which actually I dont know the result to) was sufficient to diagnose me then what approach will she have to looking at these 'new' results, particularly ones that she didnt request.

Having put this scenario in my already anxious head and the fact that I feel defeated already (maybe just one of those days), am would like to think that despite the bloods coming back 'normal' I would be diagnosed on the symptoms I have - does anyone have any positive experiences of this?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can/Will DR medicate for hormone issues... 10 years 10 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi,

I'd dearly love to give you purely positive news but equally I don't want to give you unrealistic hopes. The way doctors are regulated generally means that they have to work within quite strict restrictions. Yes a doctor can use their own clinical judgement but if this deviates from the "norm" they would need to be able to clearly explain their rationale. Despite what substantial amounts of information say about standard thyroid tests often being inadequate the medical profession in general still sees them in a very black or white way. Unfortunately this usually means that if your thyroid bloodwork is within the normal range you won't be given treatment. I sincerely hope that your doctor will pay as much attention to your symptoms as they do to your test results.

I would do as much research as you can on 'subclinical hypothyroidism', or 'SCH', print off some research abstracts showing symptoms of hypothyroidism can still be present when thyroid hormones are in the normal range, and take them to show your doctor. The normal ranges are simply an average and it is possible for our individual normal to lie slightly outside of this. I have done a quick search and come up with this research paper discussing mild subclinical hyothyroidism which shows that testing for antithyroperoxidase antibodies (TPOAb) and ultrasound scans of the thyroid are helpful an can uncover thyroid problems not apparent after testing only hormone levels - Natural History of Mild Subclinical Hypotyroidism: Prognostic Value of Ultrasound

If your doctor is still unwilling to treat you it may be time to seek help from a doctor whom you know understands the saituation. Dr. Barry Durrant-Peatfield is a very knowledgeable doctor who specializes in treating stubborn and undiagnosed thyroid problems. He has clinics throughout the UK and is the author of Your Thyroid and How to Keep it Healthy

Best of luck and please let us know your results and how you get on with your doctor. Don't despair if things don't go as you hoped, you still have many options to get on top of this!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Can/Will DR medicate for hormone issues... 10 years 10 months ago #3

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
Maff wrote:
Hi,

I have done a quick search and come up with this research paper discussing mild subclinical hyothyroidism which shows that testing for antithyroperoxidase antibodies (TPOAb) and ultrasound scans of the thyroid are helpful an can uncover thyroid problems not apparent after testing only hormone levels - Natural History of Mild Subclinical Hypotyroidism: Prognostic Value of Ultrasound

Firstly Maff, thank you for your response - It is greatly appreciated. With regards to the publication you refer me to, unfortunately I dont seem to be able to access it. Can you suggest any others? Meanwhile I will look as you suggest.

Regards

Sandra

Re: Can/Will DR medicate for hormone issues... 10 years 10 months ago #4

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
Me again Maff ;)

Do you think this explains it well enough? www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/adlin.html

Re: Can/Will DR medicate for hormone issues... 10 years 10 months ago #5

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Sandra,

The article you found is great. I respected journal and a well-referenced article discussing the subject you will be broaching with your doctor. I would definitely take a copy to show them to back up your point of view.

Sorry you were unable to see the link I gave you. It was onl an abstract I was looking at so maybe the link was trying to send you to the full article (which you would no doubt have to pay for). Abstracts are always free and provide the key points about a study so always look for links to those if you can't view the full article.

Take care.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Can/Will DR medicate for hormone issues... 10 years 10 months ago #6

• debg
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Sandra,

I've just read your post and I hope you got the result you wanted from your doctor?

I have been trying to get GPs to listen to me for the last 17 years since I had a semi thyroidectomy as all my results have come back 'normal'. I tried 5 doctors and 1 endocrinologist over this time, until a year ago I gave up.

If your doctor will not be convinced, Maff is right, Dr Peatfield is amazing. Although i'm not yet well, the low thyroid function has caused adrenal fatigue and in turn candida, I feel so much better. The most important thing is Dr Peatfield listens and understands.

It's an upsetting journey to go through when you feel so ill and you realise your doctor is completely unsympathetic.
The latest doctor said that she wished she had a pound for every woman who walked in here and said he was tired. When I took an article to my former GP which talked about the limits of the thyroid test, he declared that he wouldn't dream of coming into my workplace and telling me how to do my job!

I really hope you've had more success and would be interested to know if there are any enlightened doctors out there?

Debbie

Related Articles:

Home Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds