Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Called for FSH results...

Re: Called for FSH results... 10 years 10 months ago #7

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
Hi Maff

My appointment went as expected - he did not refer me to an Endo 'this time'. The rationale behind this is because I have dropped nearly 7lbs in weight - in 1 week!!!! I must point out that as I have been so unwell, this is almost definately to do with the fact that I have hardly been eating rather than any calorie controlled approach. The G.P was so thrilled with this that he has said that he will not refer me to the Endo as he wouldnt want them to think that I was raving as this wouldnt be fair to me. Instead, he has requested to see me again in 2 weeks to review things.

Weight loss this drastic in this short amount of time can only be 2 things:- Water or Muscle. I know I sound pessimistic but I have been trying to lose weight for over a year and have constantly been advised that healthy eating and exercise is the way forward. Clearly I have been doing hardly any eating and no exercise for the past 3 weeks so this is not the reason why I have lost. Anyway - why disregard my other symptoms? Dont get me wrong - I am grateful to have lost the weight but why has it happened? I need to understand my body to continue the 'good' work. Clearly a starvation diet (which is what it would amount to in the future when I am fully up and running) is not going to sustain me forever - in fact it would send me into starvation mode which would do more harm than good. I cant help having an decreased appetite at the moment, I guess it is a combination of recovering from the operations and my state of mind which was deteriorationg prior to being poorly anyway. BTW, the 'Depression' test was high and he says he wants to treat those anyway though he has asked me to do another one before he sees me again.

He 'assured' me that my FSH was fine and when I raised the subject of T3 and T4 he said 'yeah, we're not allowed to send you for them from here' so I know you have alluded to the fact that he is able to but he says NOT.

He has again 'assured' me that if there are any irregularities next time I come to him that he will without a shadow of a doubt refer me to an Endo - I will belive it when I see it!!!!

Meanwhile thanks for asking Maff, would appreciate your thoughts on this as always.

Regards S
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Called for FSH results... 10 years 10 months ago #8

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi S,

Sounds like a bit of a nonsense that your GP was thrilled with your weight loss - even though it was achieved due to poor appetite and hence reduced food intake. This should be a cue to look into things deeper, not something to rejoice at!

You don't sound pessimistic, just frustrated and rightly so. If dieting and exercise don't produce weight loss and you have other symptoms that point to metabolic issues then these should be considered (e.g. hypothyroidism, sex hormone imbalances). Depression questionnaires only show if someone is depressed - not why. There are many things that can cause depression including hormonal imbalances, blood sugar imbalances, nutritional deficiencies etc etc. Perhaps it would be worth seeing a doctor privately, one who practices functional medicine and will consider all these things. A Nutritional Therapist would do the same. I realise the majority of us can't afford this but if you are lucky enough to be in a good financial position it would be well worth it.

I can only tell you that my GP has ordered TSH, T4 and T3 for me himself on more than one occassion and had no problem in doing so, either personally or with the PCT or lab. I can only guess that things may be different in different areas (I am in Harrogate, North Yorkshire) or for some reason your GP mistakenly thinks he can't order these tests. Strange.

I do hope you get referred to an Endo at your next visit so you can hopefully start to getg some answers. What are you doing in the meantime?

Take care,

Maff
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Called for FSH results... 10 years 10 months ago #9

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
The Dr has said that I need to eat foods that will pass through me easily or are easily digestible as my body is still in trauma apparently. I know that he probably feels that he has done all he needs to do in the form of tests - he pretty well said as much. In terms of t3 and t4 my hubby (who was at the appointment) said that dr said it comes down to cost (I didnt catch that bit - too upset at the whole bloomin thing and resigned to his response following him weighing me and seeing the loss). I live in South Bucks.

In the meantime Maff I am waiting for my next appointment with this GP as he is the one who can refer me from what I understand???

My husband has family health care (BUPA) and from what I understand, they will only take a referral if it initially comes from the Endo that the GP is supposed to be referring me to!!!! Catch 22 as I guess that if I dont put on any weight or even potentially lose again which is highly likely given my appetite at the moment he will fob me off again. I am hoping that I feel stronger when I go - strong enough to point out the deficiencies in my diet and appetite and food intake. Mind you, when I initially went to this Dr last year about another matter and raised the subject of my then weight gain his response was 'the Dutch POW ate what amounted to 700kcals a day and still survived - instead of eating 1100 calories a day as the dietician suggests I think you should try eating less!'

Do you think its feasible to ask to see the bupa doctor just on my symptoms alone if all my gp ends up doing is potentially give me anti depressants and anxiety treatment? Is that what you mean by private referral re functional medicines or a nutritional therapist?

Meanwhile thanks as always Maff - hope you are having a good weekend :-)

Re: Called for FSH results... 10 years 9 months ago #10

• Maff
  • Administrator
Yeah your husband is probably right. I'm sure financial considerations have a lot to do with which tests doctors are prepared to order. Another member told me that her GP actually insinuated that she should be grateful because a test he referred her for cost x amount. Clearly very unprofessional and if it were me I would have had a good rant back at him about how much I personally (and my parents) have spent on tests and treatments because the NHS just wipes its hands of people like us and leaves us to suffer! I won't get started on that though ;)

Sounds like you might have to kick up a fuss to get referred to an Endo. I really hope you feel stronger at your next appointment as you really do need to make a big deal of the fact that the weight-loss has clearly been from lack of eating rather than an improvement in your health or any other factor. If you don't feel up to the potential confrontation then perhaps you could take your husband or someone else close to you who knows all this and can fight your corner for you?

I'm not familiar with BUPA's policy on referrals and when they will take patients on so I can't help there unfortunately. The private doctors and nutritional therapists I was talking about you would have to seek out and pay for yourself. NHS won't go there in the most part.

Dr. Barry Peatfield is someone I would recommend for hormonal problems. He has clinics throughout the UK and is the author of Your Thyroid and How to Keep it Healthy

To find a nutritional therapist near you this link should help - http://www.bant.org.uk/bant/jsp/practitionerSearch.faces

Take care of yourself and have a good weekend :)

Re: Called for FSH results... 10 years 9 months ago #11

• clothcase
  • EiR Junior
Thank you a gain Maff

I will look up both Dr Barry Peatfield to see if he has a clinic near me and also look in to this nutritional therapist - tell me honestly Maff, how are they viewed by Dr's and G.P's? Are they respected or merely seen as quacks? :-)

No matter to me how they are perceived - I have already decided to take the bull by the horns and pay for private testing as prompted by you - I thank you so much for this.

x

Re: Called for FSH results... 10 years 9 months ago #12

• Maff
  • Administrator
Well, doctors such as Dr. Peatfield and CAM practitioners like Nutritional Therapists used to be widely viewed as quacks. However, things are slowly changing and in my experience many GPs now have a much more favourable opinion...particularly the younger GPs are less set in their ways.

I actually trained to be a Nutritional Therapist (NT) myself. I completed a 3 year BSc (Hons) degree but then had to concede that I was still too ill to complete the year of clinical training and eventually do the job. I can tell you that the education required to become a NT is of a very high quality with a lot of focus on interpretation of medical studies and 'evidence-based practice', as would be expected of any healthcare worker. If you can find a NT who completed a degree as part of their training even better (not all will have).

MY views have shifted hugely due to my illness. At first I took the NHS doctors' word as gospel and just tried to ignore my illness and get on with life - which only landed me in a much much bigger whole than I was already in. It is only when I started listening to others and looked into things in detail myself that the truth became clear. Always seek a second, third, or fourth opinion and do your homework ;)

Good luck finding someone to help you. I notice you have posted another message asking for recommendations. I hope someone can help you out.

Re: testing - When you have the TSH, T4 and T3 also ask for measurement of reverse T3 (rT3). This is a form of T3 that is metabolically inactive i.e. it reduces thyroid activity at the cell rather than increasing it. A number of factors such as stress are thought toincrease conversion of T3 into the inactive rT3 form. Also you might want to check if you are deficient in any nutrients essential for thyroid function e.g. iodine, selenium.

Related Articles:

Home Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds