Review Detail

Tyrosine (L-Tyrosine & N-acetyl-L-Tyrosine)
Nutrients S-Z
Written by Maff     September 03, 2008    
As a sufferer of both chronic fatigue syndrome and depression I had all the signs of catecholamine deficiency e.g. sluggish thinking, poor concentration and focus, lack of motivation and mental energy. Since tyrosine is the amino acid building block of the energizing catecholamine neurotransmitters such as dopamine and noradrenaline/norepinephrine I thought it would be well worth trying it to see if it alleviated my symptoms.

Initially I bought a standard l-tyrosine product and after trying it for a month hadn't noticed any effect at all so gave up on it for a long while.

After a few other experiences with supplements that supply nutrients in a form closer to the end products used by the body I decided to give the N-acetyl-L-Tyrosine form a try. This time the result was positive and quick. Within 30 minutes of taking a single 300mg capsule I felt a significant improvement in all of the symptoms I mentioned above. My head felt clearer, I felt more like myself and the world generally seemed like a brighter and better place to be.

The positive effects on my mood and mental functioning I get with N-acetyl-L-Tyrosine last for around 3-4 hours so I need to take more than one dose per day to maintain them. The only side-effect is over-stimulation similar to drinking to much coffee if I take too much.

Overall rating 

Perceived Effectiveness  

Lack of side effects (tolerability)  

Ease of use  

Value for money  

Would you recommend? 

Maff Reviewed by Maff September 03, 2008
Last updated: August 11, 2009
#1 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (107)

Effective Mood Booster (N-acetyl form)

As a sufferer of both chronic fatigue syndrome and depression I had all the signs of catecholamine deficiency e.g. sluggish thinking, poor concentration and focus, lack of motivation and mental energy. Since tyrosine is the amino acid building block of the energizing catecholamine neurotransmitters such as dopamine and noradrenaline/norepinephrine I thought it would be well worth trying it to see if it alleviated my symptoms.

Initially I bought a standard l-tyrosine product and after trying it for a month hadn't noticed any effect at all so gave up on it for a long while.

After a few other experiences with supplements that supply nutrients in a form closer to the end products used by the body I decided to give the N-acetyl-L-Tyrosine form a try. This time the result was positive and quick. Within 30 minutes of taking a single 300mg capsule I felt a significant improvement in all of the symptoms I mentioned above. My head felt clearer, I felt more like myself and the world generally seemed like a brighter and better place to be.

The positive effects on my mood and mental functioning I get with N-acetyl-L-Tyrosine last for around 3-4 hours so I need to take more than one dose per day to maintain them. The only side-effect is over-stimulation similar to drinking to much coffee if I take too much.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments