Review Detail

St Johns Wort
Herbs S-Z
Written by Maff     December 18, 2009    
It sounds like I used St. John's wort for very similar problems to the reviewer below but unfortunately I didn't experience any improvement after using it for 3 months at the same dose of 300mg/day. I do have many other underlying health problems stemming from chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) however which can certainly effect how medications and supplements work (or not).

I have found the only supplements that improve my mood are those that have an immediate stimulatory effect. These include vitamin D, ginseng and n-acetyl-tyrosine.

Having found St. John's wort was no help for me I have still given it an 8 in the 'Would you recommend?' category purely because the substantial body of medical research on this herb points to it being helpful for many people for mild to moderate depression. In fact the conclusions many review studies draw is that it is at least as effective as antidepressant drugs - Adam72's experience seems to support this!

I should add that I experienced no side-effects while taking St. John's wort but this may not be the case for everyone. Also this herb should be used as an alternative to antidepressant drugs NOT as well as them. Please discuss with your doctor.
Overall rating 

Perceived Effectiveness  

Lack of side effects (tolerability)  

Ease of use  

Value for money  

Would you recommend? 

Maff Reviewed by Maff December 18, 2009
Last updated: December 23, 2009
#1 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (107)

No help for me but still recommended

It sounds like I used St. John's wort for very similar problems to the reviewer below but unfortunately I didn't experience any improvement after using it for 3 months at the same dose of 300mg/day. I do have many other underlying health problems stemming from chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) however which can certainly effect how medications and supplements work (or not).

I have found the only supplements that improve my mood are those that have an immediate stimulatory effect. These include vitamin D, ginseng and n-acetyl-tyrosine.

Having found St. John's wort was no help for me I have still given it an 8 in the 'Would you recommend?' category purely because the substantial body of medical research on this herb points to it being helpful for many people for mild to moderate depression. In fact the conclusions many review studies draw is that it is at least as effective as antidepressant drugs - Adam72's experience seems to support this!

I should add that I experienced no side-effects while taking St. John's wort but this may not be the case for everyone. Also this herb should be used as an alternative to antidepressant drugs NOT as well as them. Please discuss with your doctor.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments