3 . Nutr Cancer. 1997;28(2):130-4. Nonlipopolysaccharide component(s) of Lactobacillus acidophilus stimulate(s) the production of interleukin-1 alpha and tumor necrosis factor-alpha by murine macrophages. Rangavajhyala N, Shahani KM, Sridevi G, Srikumaran S. Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln 68583, USA.
4 . Clin Infect Dis. 2001 Jun 1;32(11):1567-76. Probiotic agents and infectious diseases: a modern perspective on a traditional therapy. Oberhelma RA. Alvarez-Olmos MI, USA.
5. Lancet. 2001 Apr 7;357(9262):1076-9. Probiotics in primary prevention of atopic disease: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Kalliomaki M et al.
8. Dig Liver Dis. 2002 Sep;34 Suppl 2:S81-3. Probiotics and Helicobacter pylori eradication.Canducci F, Cremonini F, Armuzzi A, Di Caro S, Gabrielli M, Santarelli L, Nista E, Lupascu A, De Martini D, Gasbarrini A. Internal Medicine Department, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
9. Microbiology. 2002 Apr;148(Pt 4):973-84. Characterization of the genetic locus responsible for the production of ABP-118, a novel bacteriocin produced by the probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus salivarius subsp. salivarius UCC118. Flynn S, van Sinderen D, Thornton GM, Holo H, Nes IF, Collins JK. National Food Biotechnology Centre, Department of Microbiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland.
10 . J Biomed Biotechnol. 2004;2004(1):61-69. Microencapsulated Genetically Engineered Lactobacillus plantarum 80 (pCBH1) for Bile Acid Deconjugation and Its Implication in Lowering Cholesterol. Jones ML, Chen H, Ouyang W, Metz T, Prakash S.
11 . FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004 Jan 15;230(1):53-61. High tolerance of wild Lactobacillus plantarum and Oenococcus oeni strains to lyophilisation and stress environmental conditions of acid pH and ethanol. G-Alegria E, Lopez I, Ruiz JI, Saenz J, Fernandez E, Zarazaga M, Dizy M, Torres C, Ruiz-Larrea F. Department of Food and Agriculture, University of La Rioja, Av. Madre de Dios 51, 26006 Logrono, Spain
12. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004 Jan;70(1):518-26. In vitro and in vivo inhibition of Helicobacter pylori by Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota. Sgouras D, Maragkoudakis P, Petraki K, Martinez-Gonzalez B, Eriotou E, Michopoulos S, Kalantzopoulos G, Tsakalidou E, Mentis A. Laboratory of Medical Microbiology, Hellenic Pasteur Institute, Athens, Greece.
14. J Dairy Res. 2003 Nov;70(4):433-40. Probiotics induce resistance to enteropathogens in a re-nourished mouse model. Cano PG, Perdigon G. Centro de Referencias para Lactobacilos, Chacabuco 145 (4000), Tucuman, Argentina.
16 . Altern Med Rev. 2002 Aug;7(4):340-2. Lactobacillus sporogenes.[No authors listed]
17 . Dig Dis Sci. 2004 Apr;49(4):579-89. In vivo effects of bifidobacteria and lactoferrin on gut endotoxin concentration and mucosal immunity in Balb/c mice. Griffiths EA, Duffy LC, Schanbacher FL, Qiao H, Dryja D, Leavens A, Rossman J, Rich G, Dirienzo D, Ogra PL. Department of Pediatrics, The Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo, Kaleida Health, School of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, 888 Delaware Avenue, Buffalo, New York 14209, USA.
18 . Int J Food Microbiol. 2004 Apr 1;92(1):69-78. In vitro inhibition of Escherichia coli O157:H7 by bifidobacterial strains of human origin.Gagnon M, Kheadr EE, Le Blay G, Fliss I. Departement de Sciences des Aliments et de Nurition, Dairy Research Center STELA and Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods Institute, Universite Laval, Pavillon Paul Comtois, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4.
20 . J Food Prot. 2001 Nov;64(11):1667-73. Inhibitory activity of Bifidobacterium longum HY8001 against Vero cytotoxin of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Kim SH, Yang SJ, Koo HC, Bae WK, Kim JY, Park JH, Baek YJ, Park YH. Department of Microbiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Suwon, Gyunggi, Korea.
21 . Appl Microbiol. 2004;97(1):29-37. Effect of Bifidobacterium longum ingestion on experimental salmonellosis in mice. Silva AM, Barbosa FH, Duarte R, Vieira LQ, Arantes RM, Nicoli JR. Departmento de Microbiologia, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil.
22. Microbiol Immunol. 2003;47(6):371-8. The suppressive effect of bifidobacteria on Bacteroides vulgatus, a putative pathogenic microbe in inflammatory bowel disease. Shiba T, Aiba Y, Ishikawa H, Ushiyama A, Takagi A, Mine T, Koga Y. Departments of Infectious Diseases, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa 259-1193, Japan.
24. Nutrition. 2004 May;20(5):473-6. Probiotics enhance recovery from malnutrition and lessen colonic mucosal atrophy after short-term fasting in rats. Dock DB, Latorraca MQ, Aguilar-Nascimento JE, Gomes-da-Silva MH. Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Cuiaba, Brazil.
25. Clin Exp Immunol. 2004 Jul;137(1):52-8. Dietary fructooligosaccharides up-regulate immunoglobulin A response and polymeric immunoglobulin receptor expression in intestines of infant mice. Nakamura Y, Nosaka S, Suzuki M, Nagafuchi S, Takahashi T, Yajima T, Takenouchi-Ohkubo N, Iwase T, Moro I. Department of Nutritional Research, Nutrition Science Institute, Meiji Dairies Corporation, Kanagawa, Japan.
26. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2003 Dec;49(6):414-21. Stimulation of butyrate production in the large intestine of weaning piglets by dietary fructooligosaccharides and its influence on the histological variables of the large intestinal mucosa. Tsukahara T, Iwasaki Y, Nakayama K, Ushida K. Laboratory of Animal Science, Kyoto Prefectural University, Shimogamo, Kyoto 606-8522, Japan.
29. J Anim Sci. 2003 Oct;81(10):2535-45. Dietary galactooligosaccharides affect ileal and total-tract nutrient digestibility, ileal and fecal bacterial concentrations, and ileal fermentative characteristics of growing pigs.Smiricky-Tjardes MR, Grieshop CM, Flickinger EA, Bauer LL, Fahey GC Jr. Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA.
30. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2002 Mar;34(3):291-5. Dosage-related bifidogenic effects of galacto- and fructooligosaccharides in formula-fed term infants. Moro G, Minoli I, Mosca M, Fanaro S, Jelinek J, Stahl B, Boehm G. Center for Infant Nutrition, Macedonio Melloni Maternity Hospital, Milan, Italy.
31. O'Mahony L McCarthy J Kelly P et al (2005) Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium in irritable bowel syndrome: symptom responses and relationship to cytokine profiles Gastroenterology 128:541-551.
32. Whorwell PJ Altringer L Morel J et al (2006) Efficacy of an encapsulated probiotic Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 in women with irritable bowel syndrome American Journal of Gastroenterology 101:1581-1590
33. Toki S Kagaya S Shinohara M Wakiguchi H Matsumoto T Takahata Y Morimatsu F Saito H Matsumoto K (2008) Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Lactobacillus casei Suppress Escherichia coli-Induced Chemokine Expression in Intestinal Epithelial Cells International Archives of Allergy and Immunology 148(1):45-58
34. Guarino MP Altomare A Stasi E Marignani M Severi C Alloni R Dicuonzo G Morelli L Coppola R Cicala M (2008) Effect of acute mucosal exposure to Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG on human colonic smooth muscle cells Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology sep;42 Suppl 3 Pt 2:S185-90
35. Doron SI Hibberd PL Gorbach SL (2008) Probiotics for prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology Jul;42 Suppl 2:S58-63
Needs.com Product Catalogue, www.needs.com
Beyond Probiotics, Ann Louise Gittleman, Keats 1998.
Home Testing & Sanitizer: