Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Betaine HCL with pepsin

Betaine HCL with pepsin 11 years 8 months ago #1

• Viewpoint
  • EiR Newbie
I was wondering if anyone on here has used Betaine HCL with pepsin? I suffer from absorption issues as I think most do with gut issues. When in hospital last year I wasn't absorbing protein and my partner found out about Betaine HCL with pepsin and with great reluctance I started taking it (I also have IBD). But to my surprise, it has worked wonders with the absorption issues. I am now able to absorb all the vitamins, nutrients etc from my diet and along with this, actually get some benefits from the supplements I take. I really can't rate it high enough and hope this information will help someone.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin 11 years 8 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Viewpoint,

Great to hear supplements containing betaine HCl and pepsin have made such a difference for you. Gut issues can be the root of so many problems for most of us and if we can't digest protein efficiently we simply won't have enough amino acid building blocks for tissue maintenance and repair and the synthesis of hormones, neurotransmitters, and white blood cells, to name but a few things vital to good health!

There is a simple test using betaine HCl supplements often recommended by nutritionists that people can do at home which can give an indication as to whether they have a lack of stomach acid and hence ability to digest protein. Of course this test should never be used if you have a serious gastrointestinal disease or severe GI symptoms. Always best to do these things under the guidance of a doctor but here are the basic instructions for the test - Stomach Acid Test

I hope you continue to see benefits Viewpoint and please let us know if you have positive experiences with anything else :)
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin 11 years 8 months ago #3

• TheStache
  • EiR Junior
Viewpoint, I too have had great success with HCL. I am currently taking Betaine HCL supplements with lunch and dinner (4x 750mg pills and 6x pills respectively), and have seen dramatic improvements in absorption of food, bowel movements, and flatulence.

Although I am not taking pepsin, I am taking some additional digestive enzymes (Vital-Zymes Complete by Klaire Labs) in addition to the HCL with each meal.

Have seen some dramatic improvements with both!

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 4 months ago #4

• Bushi
  • EiR Senior
  • Thank you received: 6
So I've just got my results from Vascular EGF test which measures the amount of acid you produce in your stomach. The reference range is from 930 - 2050. I came in at a very poor 910. So it means I have hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid production). This also explains my history with upper gut fermentation.

So a couple of days ago I bought some strong HCL with Pepsin (650mg HCL and 120mg pepsin). I take two at breakfast and 5 or 6 for lunch and dinner. I don't want to get too excited but for the first time in years I haven't had the normal reactions I get after eating any type of food. My bowel movements have slowed down slightly, I have a lot less gas and I don't have the urgency or the diahrrea I had before. I do have a slight crampy feeling in my stomach though. I'm hoping this will subside.

The strange thing is, I haven't had a burning sensation from the pills yet. YOu're supposed to work out your tolerance level to the HCL tabs. So you keep taking more and more until to you feel a slight burning sensation then once you have reached that you take away one of the tabs and stick with that for a few weeks until the burning sensation returns at this point you're supposed to reduce the amount of tabs you are using by one and so on until your body learns to produce it's own acid again. I'm just wondering whether I should keep on taking even more tablets until I feel that burning sensation? It's hard to know how many tablets to take with each meal or with each snack. And if you have a carb snack will a HCL tablet help with that or is it solely for protein absorption?

Personally, I can't believe It has seemed to help a little. After years of picking up stomach bugs my stomach has taken a battering. I now hope that the HCL will reduce some of the bacteria and candida that I have. I have just bought some water Kefir grains and hope that will help too.

I just can't understand, why in the 20 years I have been suffering so badly that nobody has ever suggested that I test my stomach acid levels!! Incredible!

I'm still planning on carrying out the fecal transplantation in any case!

Any thoughts or advice on this would he gratefully appreciated.
Last Edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Bushi.

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 4 months ago #5

• Viewpoint
  • EiR Newbie
Well I am pleased to meet someone who too is having such a positive experience with Betaine HCL with pepsin. My partner discovered it durinng my 10 day stay in hospital for IBD issues. I wasn't absorbing protein or iron. When asked what we could do about it all that was said was they'll keep monitoring me. They couldn't explain why I had swollen ankles as well.

When I came out of hospital my partner was insisting this supplement would help but to me it was 'not another thing to take'. In fact I got so fed up I stopped taking vitamin supplements as well.

Like you, I too saw immediate results that after six weeks I did nothing but shout from the rooftops on as many forums as possible. My blood tests showed I was now absorbing protein and it is obvious that prior to taking Betaine HCL I wasn't absorbing any of the supplements I was taking in addition to not absorbing the nutrition from my diet alone.

I take the 650mg tablets too. I take 2 with brunch and then 4 with my main meal. I did take 3 with brunch but then had then burning sensation so dropped to 2 and have stayed there. I haven't experienced that burning sensation again so am wondering if I should increase the number of pills I take with my evening meal.

I know the goal is to come off them eventually and get your system working/functioning properly for you but in the meanwhile, I have regular healthy BMs, feel so much better and have lost quite a bit of weight without trying. So yes I share your joy with the wonders of this supplement.

I didn't know you could have a vascular EGF test - can this be done with your GP as I'd really be most interested in having one. I too couldn't believe nobody in the medical profession had even heard of Betaine HCL - my GI, GI Nurse amongst others.

But hey, it's a great find!

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 4 months ago #6

• Bushi
  • EiR Senior
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey viewpoint!

Thanks for the response. It is incredible, it appears that after 20 years of searching, this is the first thing I have found that helps other than loperamide (imodium) and even that wasn't working for me very well anymore. I could take 3 or 4 in a day and still have regular bowel movements. It's still very early days for me at the moment but the reaction I have after eating isn't the same. My bowels are scarily much quieter. I had the first 'semi normal' bowel movement for the fist time in ages yesterday. My stomach still feels very sensitive but that's probably because I still have candida and SIBO issues to deal with in my gut. Hopefully, the Betaine will help to start killing some of it off. And if less fermentation going on in my gut, I won't be producing so much.

Here's a link to Maff's section on this stuff that i have just found.

www.ei-resource.org/myblog/Low-Stomach-A...and-Lab-Methods.html

I did it through Dr Myhill. I have never had a consultation with her yet but just run a couple of checks through her. she seems very professional and have nothing but praise for the professional responses I have had from her so far.

Be warned though, she does suggest that it is important to take magnesium carbonate 1 to 2 hours after meals which helps neutralise the effects of the betaine snf alkalise the duodenum. The duodenum is essential for sterilisation of the upper gut. So it's worth thinking about.

Also from researching on the web, I have seen that there is normally a B12 deficiency with people who suffer with hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid). Google it and you will see.

I think absorption of zince may be a factor too but I'm still researching that one.

At the moment I am still taking two capsules for breakfast, even if I have a carb only breakfast and I started taking 6 capsules with my lunch and dinner. I'm still pretty much following the candida diet for the moment which restricts carbs, but I tend to eat a lot of brown rice which is lower in sugar.

I hope my own body willl start producing it's own acid in the future. I hope this improvement continues. I don't want to get my hopes too high! But even if I had 7o% relief that would be better than anything I've ever had.

I'll keep you posted. I think more people with IBS-like should try this too!!

Please Help Support EiR with a Positive Google Review!

Review 'The Environmental Illness Resource' (EiR) on Google

If you like EiR and / or enoyed this content; please help us keep going by leaving a Positive Google Review:
Review EiR on Google NOW!

P.S. This is entirely secure, we collect no data other than what is freely available from Google and you can remain anonymous!

Related Articles:

Mold Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds