Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Betaine HCL with pepsin

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 1 month ago #13

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Bushi,

Interesting article about the link between niacin and the secretion of gastric acid through histamine and PGD2-modulated mechanisms. I completely agree with the distinction between nutrient deficiency and dependency (increased metabolic requirement) and I think this has been pretty well established by researchers and doctors of functional medicine.

I'm not sure if you're aware that gastric acid is reliant upon zinc for its creation? This means that if you have zinc deficiency or dependency then you will struggle to produce enough gastric acid and will develop hypochlorhydria whther you have enough niacin or not. A study conducted by doctors/researchers associated with Biolab in London, UK found that people with unexplained chronic illness had higher levels of blood alcohols (suggestive of SIBO and yeast overgrowth)...and this was associated with zinc deficiency (read study abstract here). It is common knowledge that alcohol consumption depletes zinc. My point being that if you have SIBO and/or yeast overgrowth then you are more likely to have zinc deficiency/dependency and hypochlorhydria. It's a viscious circle - hypochlorhydria can cause SIBO and yeast overgrowth - and once established these can deplete zinc and contribute to the hypochlorhydria.

The L-histadine info is also interesting although I'd have to do some research on that. Being a precursor of histamine I am not sure how much it "regulates" it - intuitively adding more L-histadine to your body would increase histamine and allergic symptoms surely...
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 1 month ago #14

• Bushi
  • EiR Senior
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the info Maff and for the Biolab link. Interesting stuff. I didn't know about Zinc and Gastric secretion. I have just started taking zinc twice a day (25mgs) so I may up the dose for a few days with meals and see how I feel.

As for the L-Histidine.. think it sounds a little iffy too. But I did come across the below comment on IBS Tales with someone who found it actually helped her IBS:

".......The tale of...Jan

I began having symptoms of IBS (diarrhea type) in my 20s. We were told that our community well was contaminated with giardia which may have started it off. Over the next many years I became allergic to many foods, and eventually got down to only two that wouldn't cause internal hives and diarrhea. I tried different medications and had reactions to all of them, too, including prednisone, so I kept trying to find my own answers.

I had studied nutrition and biochemistry in college, so I had some background in the field. I began reading scientific articles and tried to sort out anything that might give me clues. I did find out that I have abnormally high levels of prostaglandin E1 (PGE1). I spoke with a researcher to see if he could give me any leads to possible natural treatments. He suggested a form of lithium which I tried in very small doses but had too many side effects. But I felt that I was on the right track and kept looking.

I had read that a cofactor in the production of PGE1 is zinc. I theorized that if I could get my zinc levels down maybe it would help. I finally found some information on an amino acid called histidine which has an affinity for many metals including mercury, nickel, iron, calcium and zinc. I started taking it and within just a week the diarrhea had disappeared for the first time in almost 20 years and I could eat almost anything with no reaction. It was just amazing.

I experimented for several months with the dosage and found that I did best with about 250mg per day along with 15mg of zinc to be sure I didn't get depleted in zinc - if you chelate out too much zinc your nose will get stuffy. (Also too little zinc affects histamine release which will in turn diminish sexual response.) If I took a slightly higher dosage I could even experience what it was like to be constipated for the first time in ages!

Because histidine both transports and chelates out zinc, it seems to be very effective in moderating high prostaglandin levels that cause overcontraction of the smooth muscle and excess cytokine production in the intestines. I have been using it for 10 years now with great success. The only time I experience the IBS symptoms is if I quit taking the histidine for a week or so and eat a food that used to cause allergic reactions.

I read through the stories on the site, and it brought back so many memories of embarrassing situations. It's wonderful to be free of the symptoms...no extra changes of clothes, no fear of going to a football game! A nice side effect was my headaches that had plagued me for years also disappeared.

I am a nutritional consultant and have recommended this treatment for several of my clients. One lady with IBS was able to get off all her medications for the first time in years and take a vacation to Mexico. It may not work for everyone, but it's an inexpensive experiment and worth a try. The brands I recommend are Tyson, Montiff or Jo-Mar."

source: www.ibstales.com/women_and_diarrhea_11.htm
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Bushi.

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 1 month ago #15

• Bushi
  • EiR Senior
I came across this article which states that @A small preliminary study found that zinc chloride supplement reduced stomach acid and raised stomach pH levels in 12 health subjects, as reported in the January 2011 issue of the "American Journal of Gastroenterology." While these findings are encouraging, additional research is needed to confirm the beneficial role of zinc in reducing stomach acid".

Read more: www.livestrong.com/article/530404-zinc-f...-acid/#ixzz1aDMJdShG

2) www.gastrohep.com/news/news.asp?id=107782

I'm confused now. Does zinc assist with acid creation as you mentioned maff or does it reduce it like the article states??? Sorry....perhaps I'm missing something.
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Bushi.

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 1 month ago #16

• ABarnett
  • EiR Newbie
The useful thing here seems to be if Zinc helps strengthen the stomach lining. The whole issue of excess stomach acid is a myth to sell anti acid drugs as far as I can see. The only time acid can be excessive in the stomach is when you have an ulcer and these are usually caused by the Pylori bacterium so are treatable.
If you have too low an acid level, the sphincter muscle at the entrance doesn't close properly and you get heartburn and acid reflux, so antacid is the wrong thing to do. It is however a profitable business which perpetuautes itself if you use antacids.
Betaine HCl keeps your acid levels up and keeps your stomach doing what it is meant to do, digestion. When we age, we seem to get worse at producing the acid we need so we get reflux!
If this is counter intuitive, it is because it is, but if you do't have ulcers, use Betaine HCl and stop allowing undigested protein and gluten to get into your gut, which happens if your acid is too low.
If you have ulcers, get them treated so you can get your acid back up asap!
Candida, Leaky Gut etc I believe will all be made worse by low stomach acid because low stomach acid allows undigested proteins etc to get into the gut which causes all these problems in the first place.
Zinc is important, but make sure your are zinc deficient first.
Hope that helps
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by ABarnett.

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 1 month ago #17

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Bushi - It will be the form of zinc used in that study that is key...the chloride ions will be what is reducing gastric acid and gastric juice pH. Zinc itself is essential for the production of gastric acid. I will explain further when I dig out some lecture notes from my degree that run through the chemical reaction leading to HCl production - brain a bit foggy to remember off the top of my head!

This link should be a good help too - http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C42513.html

Agree with what ABarnett said also...
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: Betaine HCL with pepsin (hypochlorhydria) 11 years 1 month ago #18

• Bushi
  • EiR Senior
Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated. I have upped my intake of zinc to 75 mgs daily, which I'll stick with for a while.

Please Help Support EiR with a Positive Google Review!

Review 'The Environmental Illness Resource' (EiR) on Google

If you like EiR and / or enoyed this content; please help us keep going by leaving a Positive Google Review:
Review EiR on Google NOW!

P.S. This is entirely secure, we collect no data other than what is freely available from Google and you can remain anonymous!

Related Articles:

Mold Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds