Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: low stomach acid

low stomach acid 10 years 8 months ago #1

Have you had experience taking betaine/pepsin supplements for low stomach acid?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: low stomach acid 10 years 8 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Lucy,

Pepsin and other protein digesting enzymes are safer to start with. I have had success using digestive enzyme formulas after a stool analysis found undigested meat fibres.

You need to be careful when using betaine HCl supplements. The symptoms when you have high stomach acid are very similar to those you might get if you have low stomach acid...so you need to be sure which (if either you have). Taking betaine HCl if you already have adequate or too much stomach acid can cause damage to the stomach lining and cause some quite serious problems. Have you had a diagnosis of low stomach acid or testing that suggests it is a problem?

If not you can initially try the Betaine Challenge Test that nutritionists often recommend. All you need is a betaine HCl supplement. Full instructions for the test can be found here.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re: low stomach acid 10 years 8 months ago #3

• CaptainInsano
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
I have used betaine HCL with pepsin and pancreas enzymes for a while. Before I started I had chronic heartburn for about a year, an environmental doctor recommended them and it went away immediately, improved my digestion and I started putting on weight again - I was previously wasting. If you take these problems to a GP they will assume to much stomach acid and put you on a en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton-pump_inhibitor to stop stomach acid. Making it even worse. If you are not digesting food properly it causes all kinds of havoc and makes you deficient in certain nutrients. You can do a silivia test, but if your stools are looking like they are not 'broken down' properly or are a light brown colour, or are particularly floaty (an possible indication of excess fat in the stool) then I would suggest this is probably the case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maff

Please Help Support EiR with a Positive Google Review!

Review 'The Environmental Illness Resource' (EiR) on Google

If you like EiR and / or enoyed this content; please help us keep going by leaving a Positive Google Review:
Review EiR on Google NOW!

P.S. This is entirely secure, we collect no data other than what is freely available from Google and you can remain anonymous!

Related Articles:

Mold Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds