Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hello - Questions about Composite Deck

Hello - Questions about Composite Deck 11 years 11 months ago #1

• Deirdre
  • EiR Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums today!

I'm a MCS survivor for about 15 years. Sensitive to almost everything that smells at all. I'm some better than I was after changing just about everything in my life (except my family).

Right now we're in the process of building a \"healthy house\" but we're stumped on what to use for a front porch. We had concrete but our builder turned out not to be such a good builder and totally messed up everything there (long, long sad story). So now we have a concrete porch foundation without the strength to hold a concrete porch (it's been sawed off - another long story).

My question is . . . have any of you used \"Composite lumber\" to build anything and been able to live with it? And if not. . . any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help!
Deirdre
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Hello - Questions about Composite Deck 11 years 11 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Deirdre,

Welcome to the forums! :) Apologies for the slow reply.

Depending on how severe your chemical sensitivities are at the moment it may be that you could tolerate composite decking. Composite and laminate woods should always be avoided indoors as the VOCs that offgas simply accumulate. Obviously outside they disperse into the atmosphere instead.

You could always store the composite decking for say 6 months to allow any offgassing to occur before installing it at your house. Or perhaps if you had it installed now it wouldn't be used too often until the spring by which time it shouldn't cause any problems.

Alternatively you can get decking made from hard plastics (PVC) which in my personal experience tend to be ok. When my MCS was at its worst it was only soft plastics such as cellophane or that found in power cables etc that triggered my symptoms.

Solid wood is another option but this is expensive and you'd need to find a treatment that didn't cause you trouble but that did the job of protecting the wood.

Hope this helps and good luck!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Related Articles:

Home Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds