Strict Standards: Accessing static property SefAdvanceConfig::$url_alias as non static in /home/customer/www/ei-resource.org/public_html/components/com_sefadvance/config.php on line 289

Strict Standards: Accessing static property SefAdvanceConfig::$url_alias as non static in /home/customer/www/ei-resource.org/public_html/components/com_sefadvance/config.php on line 289
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Radiators

Radiators 11 years 10 months ago #1

• Helen64
  • EiR Junior
Hi, I've done a few posts now, so I won't repeat my personal circumstances again.
I developed my MCS earlier this year so haven't gone through a winter yet. My neighbours chimney smoke doesn't seem to be effecting me, but my central heating radiators certainly do.

Now if it was just me, I'd have them on for a couple of hours a day and wear jumpers, but I have a family. I haven't had the temperature very high yet, but develop a stiff neck and joints after about half an hour wearing my air purifier,then the headache. I could stand it for about 4 hours then had to turn it off, and thankfully had no ill effects the next day. How regular exposures would effect me, or having it set at normal winter settings, I've no idea.

I have a number of questions.

Does coal or log smoke effect people?

Has anyone tried the ludicrously expensive anti -formaldehyde radiator paints?

Has anyone found replacement MCS friendly radiators?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Radiators 11 years 10 months ago #2

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Helen,

Welcome to the forums. Glad you found us. And thank you for contributing to other threads already :)

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I'm sure you've realised by now that sensitivities tend to develop with repeated exposure. It may be that your neighbours chimney smoke doesn't currently bother you as you haven't been around it as much as your radiators at home.

Smoke of any kind certainly triggered my symptoms when my MCS was at its worst and that included candles, incense sticks, matches etc.

I'm actually quite surprised your radiators seem to be such a problem. Had you recently painted them?

The only suggestions I can come up with right now are to try a secondhand/used electric bar heater. I'm sure you can get one for next to nothing from ebay etc. Otherwise I'd recommend you get yourself a carbon filter face mask for when things get too bad. These really work very well despite not being the most fashionable item of 'clothing'!

Sorry I can't offer more specific help. Hopefully others have had more experience with radiators causing problems.<br /><br />Post edited by: Maff, at: 2008/09/10 11:40
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:Radiators 11 years 10 months ago #3

• Helen64
  • EiR Junior
The radiators haven't been painted for years but I am very sensitive. Although I've 'been around' the radiators, I've not actually had them on until yesterday.

Bonfire smoke doesn't bother me if its just garden waste, nor a barbeque. But burning plastic most definately does, so I'm hoping an open solid wood fire will be ok.

Matches, incense and candles can all contain petrochemicals, and I can't even walk into shops with them, so I know where your coming from. It is the actual chemicals in the smoke, not the smoke itself. I have recently bought some organic chemical free candles and they are fine.

I've had chrome radiators suggested...any thoughts, although I'd probably have to rob a bank to pay for them.<br /><br />Post edited by: Helen64, at: 2008/09/10 11:57

Re:Radiators 11 years 10 months ago #4

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Well that's very good news that open fires don't seem to bother you. Burning wood obviously contains a lot of organic chemicals other than CO2 that can cause people problems.

Of course you're absolutely right about regular candles, incense etc. Great you were able to find organic chemical free alternatives. What are they called and where did you buy them from?

Chrome radiators certainly sound like a possibility although you'd have to be absolutely sure they were 100% chrome and hadn't been given any coatings etc. And yes....could be pricey!
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Re:Radiators 11 years 10 months ago #5

• Helen64
  • EiR Junior
The candles I found are made from plant wax, and are unscented.

www.soorganic.com/home.php?cat=273

they also do a range with essential oils, but I'm not sure if they'd be safe for MCS.

Related Articles:

Home Testing & Sanitizer:

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds