Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Doctors say perfumes/aftershave should be banned

Doctors say perfumes/aftershave should be banned 4 years 6 months ago #1

• Jodie
  • Thank you received: 67
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/119...-from-hospitals.html
Dr Ken Flegel and Dr James Martin called for perfumes to be banned in clinical situations.
They argued: "There are many practices that are acceptable outside hospitals - but not inside. One of these is the application of artificial scents to our bodies. While artificial scents are designed to make us more attractive, they may result in unintended harm to those who are vulnerable. There is emerging evidence that asthma in some cases is primarily aggravated by artificial scents."
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Maff. Reason: Inclusion of excerpt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anti Pollution Mask - U-Mask the best biotech respirator

ADVERTISEMENT

Doctors say perfumes/aftershave should be banned 4 years 5 months ago #2

• BobSmith
  • EiR Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
They should definitely do something, it's worse than noise pollution and there are already laws for noise levels and even for very badly smelling people on buses. Perfumes etc can be like someone loudly playing their bad music next to you. Just like it's harder for people to force cig smoke on you it should be similar for perfumes, I feel bad for workers stuck with problems like these.

Not just artificial perfumes, I have a very simple natural lotion that works well but unfortunately I can't use it at night because it has a strange perfume that makes me wake up with a sore throat etc.

Doctors say perfumes/aftershave should be banned 4 years 5 months ago #3

• Maff
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Thanks for posting this Jodie. It's certainly progress but the fact the doctors/researchers accept artificial scents cause harm in the form of triggering asthma, allergies and more - yet only call for them to be banned within hospitals is frustratingly cowardly. Either artificial scents are toxic everywhere (like tobacco smoke) or nowhere!

All of us here know they're toxic in whatever environment so why should a ban be limited to hospitals? Still, progress might be slow but it's still progress so I guess we should be grateful.
If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Doctors say perfumes/aftershave should be banned 4 years 5 months ago #4

• Jodie
The NHS has know about this for some time - this page has been up on their site for years www.nhs.uk/Livewell/headaches/Pages/Headachetriggers.aspx

I just can't see them being able to cope with the fallout of banning stinky stuff totally, cos its endemic in detergents, fabric conditioners, deoderants, hair products... they'd have to ban the lot. But at least a few doctors saying don't spray yourself with perfume (on top of everything else) might be a start. And if you are unfortunate enough to end up in hospital, this info could be useful.

Doctors say perfumes/aftershave should be banned 4 years 5 months ago #5

• BA Nut
  • EiR Newbie
I really struggle with perfumes and any artificial scents. Going to hospital is not easy at all, even going to the doctors surgery is difficult. It's made harder by those who don't want to understand and just say you have psychiatric problems.

Doctors say perfumes/aftershave should be banned 4 years 5 months ago #6

• Jodie
You can point the doubters to the above links! This has been documented for years, especially when it comes to asthma sufferers.. the idiots are those who are unaware of this.
Brakespear Hospital in the UK has banned perfumes/fragrances & hospitals in Australia and Canada (maybe other countries) have whole areas where fragrances and most chemicals are banned, in order to cater for MCS patients.

In the US more and more municipal authorities are banning fragranced products: Detroit City, Minnosota educational institutions, Cecil College ( Maryland) and Portland State University are all some of the many fragrance-free workplaces. In Santa Cruz, California, the municipality has banned the wearing of fragranced products at public meetings. At Marin County in California, restaurants now offer “fragrance-free” areas for customers.
In Canada, Halifax, Nova Scotia, has a policy of “no scents makes good sense” and discourages the wearing of fragranced products in municipal office, libraries, hospitals, classrooms, courts and buses.
49 municipalities in Gothenburg, Sweden, are considering banning the wearing of fragranced products in all hospitals in the region. An estimated 6% of the Swedish population is sensitive to fragrance and suffer allergic reactions.
In many case these bans are a response to successful lawsuits brought by people whose ability to work or study is compromised by other peoples’ fragrance - “second-hand fragrance”. As in the case of tobacco, breathing someone else’s perfume is not a choice. A person can choose to eat organic food, but you can't choose not to breathe your colleague's fragrance.
scentsense.com.au/node/25

Related Articles:

Home Water Filters:

50% Off Aquasana Filtration Systems

ADVERTISEMENT

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds